At the digital publishing workshop Jeff and I gave last month, a sizable portion of the authors wanted more information about making their work into audio books. As I explained to them, very good and very inexpensive pro-sumer grade recording equipment is out there. And while you may not pull off a performance of Scott Brick’s in-studio caliber, many authors do a damn fine job recording their own audio books at home.
A great way to learn how to record your own audio book will be to attend Podcamp AZ on November 12th & 13 in Tempe, AZ. No, the conference isn’t specifically about recording audio books. But it is a great place to get your “how do I get started” questions answered by people who are there in the trenches, recording audio every day. You can also see and get hands-on experience with recording equipment you can buy at your local music shop or on Amazon.com. I’m telling you, this isn’t rocket surgery.
And it’s free!
I’m currently slated to give the following talks at the following times. This is a preliminary schedule and is subject to change:
- Saturday @ 9:15a – Lessons From A 7-Year Podcasting Veteran
- Saturday @ 1:30p – Podcasting Panel Discussion
- Sunday @ 11:15a – You’re At Podcamp – Let’s Make A Podcast!
I’ll talk quite a bit about authors and podcasting in all of my talks, as it’s largely the place I’ve been involved in podcasting since the start.
Outside of those talks, I’m completely available to chat, give ideas or push you in the right direction. Podcamp AZ is a blast, and I think any author serious about embracing digital publishing — even if you aren’t ready to record your own audio book — should attend.
Here’s a smattering of the other talks happening that authors and publishers would get the most from:
- Branding, Not Bragging – It’s presented by Carey Pena, local TV personality and awesome person!
- Social Media for Historical Figures – I expect great non-standard ideas authors can adapt to their needs.
- Building Your Brand Without Being A Social Media Douchebag – Presented by finalist for Nicest Guy In Phoenix James Archer.
- How To Pay The Bills With Your Blog – Great insights for a new outlet for you (us) non-fiction authors!
- How Anyone Can Shoot Great Video – Book trailers are all the rage. Izzy will show you how to do it with style!
- A Writing Panel that includes the Grammar Girl herself, Mignon Fogerty!
And that’s just the start. Talks on WordPress (because your website probably sucks), email marketing, using photos in your work and loads of other information you need as a digital author or publisher is all there for the taking. Come on!
So go register. Right now. It’s free. And then drop me a line. I’d love to get together!